Saturday, January 1, 2011

White Chili


I had the most amazing white chili at a baby shower a few months ago. I've been looking for a good recipe ever since. Now that I think about it, I should have asked for the recipe, but I didn't know the hostess very well and sometimes people get really offended when asked to share their recipes. Not me. I'll share 'em with the world.

I took a few White Chili Recipes and blended them. I think that means I'm becoming an experienced cook. It could also mean that my children have learned to suffer in silence. I think it's the combination of green chilies and cilantro that make this chili so yummy.

1 onion, chopped
3 celery stalks, sliced thinly
4 cups chicken, cubed or shredded
4 cups water with 3 chicken bouillon cubes added
4 cans green chili peppers, chopped
2 cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped (I used fresh)

For garnish
Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
green onion, sliced

There are two ways to cook this recipe. The first is to sauté the onions in Pam, then toss all the ingredients into your Crockpot and cook slowly all day long. If you don't have a Crockpot:

In a large saucepan over medium heat, sauté the onions and celery. Cook until onion is translucent. Add chicken, beans, chicken broth, green chilies into the pot. Season with cumin, oregano, and cilantro. Cover and simmer for 15 or 20 minutes.

Whichever way you cook it, garnish with shredded cheese and green onions. I also tossed in a few more cilantro leaves as garnish because I really like cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment