Monday, January 3, 2011

Split Pea Soup



I spent my whole childhood hating Split Pea Soup. I don't know why. I don't remember ever having tried Split Pea Soup. I think it the color of the soup that was so off putting for me. When I was in college, I worked with a woman who taught me a lot about the kind of woman and wife I wanted to be (when I grew up). She also shared a few recipes with me. I've since lost touch with her, but I think of her whenever I cook the foods she taught me to cook.

12c water if cooking stovetop, 8c water if using a crockpot
2c split peas, rinsed
3 stalks of celery, sliced
1 carrot, grated
Butt portion or ham hock (This time I used the bone from my Christmas Ham with whatever meat was still attached.)
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp white pepper

Stove top: Toss all the ingredients into a pot. Simmer for four or five hours or until peas are mushy. You will use more water if cooking stovetop because some water boils off as the soup simmers. Stir occationally, adding additional water if necessary. Remove the ham bone before serving.

Crockpot: Toss all the ingredients into your crock pot and cook on low all day long. I usually stir it up every few hours, but it's really not necessary. Remove the hambone before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment