Friday, December 24, 2010

Classic Holiday Fruit Salad


My mother made this salad for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner every year I was growing up. It's a classic at our house. A girlfriend of mine made it last Thanksgiving and my kids loved it. So I'm pulling this old recipe out and it's going to be a holiday tradition at my house, too.

1 can pineapple chunks, cut up
1 can mandarin oranges
12 oz sour cream
1 bag miniature marshmallows
1/2 bag coconut
10 maraschino cherries, rinse, pat dry and slice in half

Drain fruit well. Mix everything together. Chill at least one hour before serving so that all the flavors can blend and the marshmallows become softer. Cherries are just for color, but seem to be a favorite for all the kids.

2 comments:

  1. Cherries are just for color? I love the taste!! But anyways, excellent recipe! Mine is the exact same; however, I add crushed walnuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum! I'll add some walnuts the next time I make it!

      Delete